Addicted to GlitchHop? Support GlitchHop Forum - Grab your tracks on Addictech.com!

Login |  Register

Post subject: ill.GATES News - Workshop FREE Online
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:52 pm 
[EDIT]

Chapter 1 of The ill.Methodology Workshop now FREE Online

Very pleased to announce that I have decided to give away Chapter 1 of The ill.Methodology FREE online. This 45 minute chapter expounds the psychological and philosophical basis that every electronic musician needs to be successful.

Here is the free workshop: http://illgates.com/2012/02/new-spring- ... tes-added/

The full workshop is available here: http://illgates.com/theillmethodology/t ... hop-video/

Free racks at that second link too

Enjoy!

So it's FINALLY Here! http://illgates.com/2011/10/out-now-the ... thodology/

My masterpiece, The ill.Methodology, is finally available to the public. 18 HUGE tracks.... tons of different styles, big big collabs all over the place and all original artwork by yours truly.

The album is available in many different incarnations… straight mp3 + 4 bonus tracks, HQ digital, deluxe editions with remix parts, t-shirts, stickers, original artwork, and other goodies, and then for the DJs and Producers there are special deals that include samples from all over the album, remix parts, DJ and Studio Template deals and even the PROJECT FOLDER for Pick It Up! Please remix the tunes, mash them up and send them over here, you may end up on an ill.Gates release in the future, you never know…

CLICK HERE TO GRAB IT -> http://illgates.com/2011/10/out-now-the ... thodology/

Also head over to Earmilk for some free downloads to celebrate the release - http://www.earmilk.com/2011/10/03/ill-g ... xclusives/

Massive props to Daysha, Nunich, Dov from MUTI and all of the collaborators who helped to make this album possible. Shouts out to all my supporters, students, and fans, I did this all for you.

Thanks especially to those who purchase the music and templates directly through the site, your support is what keeps me going.

If you want to help support The ill.Methodology please share this links with all of your friends: http://illgates.com/2011/10/out-now-the ... thodology/ and if you REALLY want to help, you can always join the ill.Uminati here: http://illgates.com/contact/illuminati/

http://illgates.com/2011/03/new-website-free-downloads/#disqus_thread

Ka-blam! After months of planning, wireframing, coding, and organizing, the new and improved ILLGATES.com is now live. Expect a LOT more activity both online and on the road, with this pulsing website as the central processing station for all things ill.Gates.

Visit the TOUR section for upcoming dates and browse the STORE and MUSIC TOOLS sections for the latest goodies. Or find your favorite social media destination on the left and link up for future updates on new content.

To commemorate the launching of the site we are teaming up with Bay Area techno-womb Memekast (http://www.memekast.com)for their 50Th edition and giving away a 20:11 megamix featuring all the heaviest ill.Gates releases alongside two premieres:

The first is a remix of King Kapisi’s Safari created with Kiwi badman Steezie Wonder during the No Sleep Til Tokyo tour, and the second is a Drumstep remix of T.O.B.’s Decoy written with Muti mastermind Dov. Grab the free download and join the mailing list. As a member, you’ll receive 1st alerts to new free music, discount show tickets, and any other perks I can pass down to you. More importantly, you’ll be the first to get GENE SPLICE, a new track by me and Ana Sia, direct to your inbox at launch.

Track Listing

1. King Kapisi – Safari (ill.Gates + Steezie Wonder Remix)*
2. Malente + Dex ft. New Kidz – Lions (ill.Gates + Bassnectar Remix)
3. ill.Gates + Meesha – Sweatshop (Antiserum Remix)
4. Masia One ft. Vybz Machine – In Di Streets (ill.Gates + Meesha Remix)
5. Bassnectar – Boombox (ill.Gates + Bassnectar Remix)
6. Opiuo – Monkey Crunk (ill.Gates + Samples Remix)
7. ill.Gates + Bassnectar – Encore (Original Mix)
8. T.O.B. – Decoy (ill.Gates + Dov Remix)*

Download, share, enjoy… Plenty more to come once The ill.Methodology starts dropping! Poke around and leave a comment and let me know what you would like to see.

ill.Gates & the .Gates Foundation

Profile  Offline

Post subject: Re: ILLGATES.COM launch - FREE mix, tune + tutorials!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:53 pm 
Site Admin
giggity giggity

Profile  Offline

Post subject: Re: ILLGATES.COM Launched - FREE Mix, Tune + Tutorials!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:59 pm 
Websites looking great. Really liking the cresty logo.
You should get an easily accessible link to your soundcloud up there.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:18 pm 
thanks TC!

(and thanks to whichever GHF elf made this thread an announcement... i'm chuffed!)

TC: to access any of my social media sites simply use the social media slider on the left of every page :D it's all cross-referenced out the wazoo. daysha taylor 4 prez! w00t w00t!

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:59 pm 
ill.gates wrote:
thanks TC!

(and thanks to whichever GHF elf made this thread an announcement... i'm chuffed!)

TC: to access any of my social media sites simply use the social media slider on the left of every page :D it's all cross-referenced out the wazoo. daysha taylor 4 prez! w00t w00t!

Yea I saw that thing but I guess I didn't give it too much thought. First time I've ever seen scrolly social media bar. Impressive.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:40 pm 
love the site. mix hasn't come off my new rokit 8s. love it.

*also i really think im gonna get the "DEEJAYUS EX MACHINA" things looks fuckin badass. It's a great way for me to cheat and not have to learn about programming all my own racks.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:14 pm 

This video came about very unexpectedly and fortuitously … we had been experimenting with animation in videos and had just cleaned up our rooftop when old friends iAmRurik and Creyote came by to visit and just happened to feel like festooning every piece of wall in our compound with their wild and amazing characters. We decided to make a video for it using the thousands of photos we captured:

The song “My Special Place”, produced by ill.Gates and .Gates Foundation manager Freedom Danish seemed like a natural choice. The painting on .Gates’ roof is also Danish’s wall, and so you get a really up close and personal window into their compound, life and home. My Special Place is a warm, personal and timeless song, the first to be premiered on .Gates forthcoming album on Muti Music ‘The ill.Methodology’ (Spring 2011).
Download the MP3 of “My Special Place” including a special pack of artwork, poetry and music:

http://illgates.com/2011/04/my-special-place/

Community Mural Project Proposal
The city of Toronto is in the middle of a very ill-conceived crackdown on as our new mayor sees no distinction between murals and vandalism. We want to help change the public perception of street art in our city while strengthening our local community.
What we would like to do is get 5 floors of scaffolding and about 20 artists to paint a huge, highly visible wall in our community. We want to make a free event of it, having music and barbeque, and we want to invite members of the community to participate by setting up booths for both vending and networking on community issues such as the upcoming election. We have all of the artists but we need art supplies and scaffolding.
If you would like to help, please hit the link at the bottom of our page to donate: http://illgates.com/2011/04/my-special-place/

Keep it special!

<3

i.G

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:07 am 
http://illgates.com/2011/04/ill-gates-l ... owpass-tv/

Grounded get’s down with ill.Gates + Lynx for this Lowpass TV interview:

Profile  Offline

Post subject: Teaching the bass-ics, Musician and educator ill.Gates comes
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:45 pm 

Electronic music show hits Bend
Midtown complex will fill up Saturday with beats, bass and more
By Ben Salmon / The Bulletin
Published: April 22. 2011 4:00AM PST

Minutes into a phone conversation with ill.Gates, the Toronto-based electronic music producer, performer and educator proves his love for Ableton with some praise for the popular loop-based sequencing software.

“I live and breathe Ableton,” he said. “I dream in little colored boxes. I would brush my teeth with Ableton if I could, and I’ve always been that way since I started using it.”

Showing such devotion to a bloodless computer program is almost charming, and certainly understandable, given the success that ill.Gates — known to friends and family as Dylan Lane — has enjoyed over the past 15 years. Working first under the name The Phat Conductor and then as ill.Gates, Lane has become one of the hottest, fastest rising artists in the burgeoning, Burning Man-friendly bass music scene.

Lane’s music is a wide-eyed blend of glitchy beats, wobbly dubstep-y bass, booming hip-hop influence, intriguing vocal parts and well-timed infusions of reggae. It can be found in mass quantities, for free, via a sea of remixes, videos, downloads and more at www.illgates.com.

Lane won’t label his style; he rejects the term “glitch-hop” and slogs through this description: “midtempo kinda breakbeat forward-thinking kinda edgy electronics but with hip-hop influences.”

But there’s no question that the genre-hopping music being made by Lane, 29, and big-time producers like his buddy Bassnectar has struck a chord, not only with techno heads but jam-band lovers, summer festivalgoers and West Coast kids in general. No matter what you call it.

“Nobody really wants to coin a genre name for it because, you know, that’s like the beginning of the end, really,” Lane said in an interview Tuesday. “As soon as it’s called something, there becomes a right way to do it and a wrong way to do it, and then things start getting more and more creatively incestuous until some upstart kid goes, ‘Hey, none of you guys ever thought of this!’”

“And then everybody slaps their forehead,” he said, “and it starts again.”

Two decades ago, Lane was that upstart kid. He played guitar and piano, but got his first sampler at age 7, went to his first rave at 13, and liked the wide-open horizons of electronic music.

“It just sounded so new and different and fresh,” he said. “At that point, I had learned guitar, but I just felt like guitar music didn’t really need me. I felt like what I was doing was just kind of a commentary on the history of guitar music.

“I got a sampler and thought, ‘These instruments are new. These ... have a lot of history left to unfold. This is something I can be a part of,’” Lane said. “I felt (guitars) had been so explored that I was going to have to really struggle to find something new, and I just didn’t want to sound like anyone else. I wanted to do something entirely different. I wanted to have my own thing.”

These days, Lane is working toward that goal, not only through music but also his work as an electronic music educator. He travels the world conducting workshops on making music, with a focus on helping aspiring artists unlock their ability to create songs more quickly and efficiently.

The workshops — which grew out of Lane’s status as “Ableton tech support” for all his friends — cover the musicians’ philosophy and lifestyle, workflow, time management, promotion and social media, plus more musical things like arrangement, composition, mixing and aesthetics. Search “ill.Gates workshop” on YouTube to see how skilled Lane is as a lecturer.

Now, Lane is deep into the development of an online educational hub that would include videos, a 12-week “ninja producer boot camp training course,” downloadable templates and a social networking component. He calls the whole thing “The ill.Methodology,” which is also the name of Lane’s upcoming album.

“I’m trying to create a format where other musicians see teaching as a vital part of what they do,” he said. “And also to start training the public to go to artists first when they want to learn and not, like, music magazines that just try to sell you gear you don’t need or institutions where you pay like $20,000 a year and come out not being able to finish a song.”

The effort is mostly altruistic, though Lane says that as he becomes more involved in education, he sees huge benefits to ill.Gates the artist, too.

“If people are fans of your music or fans of a label you’re on, that’s one thing,” he said. “Whereas if you’ve unlocked someone’s creativity forever, they’re fans of you. Then you can do whatever you want and they’ll stay with you.”

He continued: “I’m just trying to lead by example, help make the scene strong and enable people to take more of a risk.”

Ben Salmon can be reached at 541-383-0377 or bsalmon@bendbulletin.com.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:03 pm 
ill.Gates Releases free/charity EP on False Profit Records
June 14, 2011

SAN FRANCISCO — Amid growing concerns over the crisis in the US educational system, one thing has become clear: Billionaires alone are not solving the problem. Experts at False Profit, LLC, in association with Muti Music, have now turned to a new partner that sort of rhymes with the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.

Not content to simply address the epidemic issues of poverty and race plaguing this nation, ill.Gates and False Profit Records are releasing the Schmunday School EP with eight tracks of highly enlightening downtempo. Proceeds will benefit the Goma Student Fund (GSF), which provides educational opportunities for children in Democratic Republic of Congo.

While some contend that listening to the bass-heavy music produced by ill.Gates will itself actually cause an increase in IQ, this has not yet been proven scientifically. The results in Africa are easier to measure — thanks to the GSF, there’s now a school in a refugee camp in a war-torn region where there wasn’t before. Partiers on all sides of the education debate can nod their heads to that.

click here for more info + download! --

ill.Gates Releases free/charity EP on False Profit Records

Thanks!

False Profit Records

Profile  Offline

Post subject: Re: ILLGATES.COM Launched - FREE Mix, Tunes + Tutorials!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:04 pm 
Die Antwoord - Fish Paste (ill.Gates Remix)

Sooooo much music heading your way including the Schmunday School Charity EP with Bay Area legends False Profit, custom ring tones for Bing, more bootlegs and the ramp up to my ill.Methodology multi-album this Summer through Muti Music.

In the meantime, here’s a sassy little bootleg to tide you over… a bass heavy re-rub of one of my favorite Die Antwoord tracks: Fish Paste. Enjoy! - illgates.com

ALT Download link: http://illgates.com/?p=1044

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:48 pm 
HUGE D!!!

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:56 pm 
if you ever have the chance go to his workshops they are fucking life changing.
go another 2 in Denver in a couple of weeks... always blows my mind and speeds up my snail pace workflow

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:23 pm 
thanks for the support guys :D here is some more free music!

http://illgates.com/2011/07/t-o-b-decoy ... dov-remix/ <- hit link for FREE DL

ill.Gates and Dov collab on a remix of T.O.B.’s Decoy — Deep atmospheres and deep bass growls accentuate this epic Drumstep drop, made for large outdoor soundsystems.

Profile  Offline

Post subject: Re: THE ILL.METHODOLOGY - OUT OCT 3 on MUTI MUSIC
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:39 pm 
very stoked for this bro!! :)

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:02 am 
Not long now D.

Anybody out there lookin into wireless DJing, get onto his iPad template... I've nailed a few gigs after going thru the testing phase... Great template, hard to make a mistake, and very easy to edit with a slight bit of tweaking (if you have your own set of effects)

I was compared to iLL by a group at a party just recently, so i felt a little honoured, and have to throw the man HUGE props for all the love he's help Australia have for the sound!

<3

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:18 pm 
woohoo!

here's some more goodness i did when down under...

http://illgates.com/2011/08/safari-ill- ... der-remix/

En route to burn with the man. But hugging this last bit of internet access to leave all my friends unable to attend this year’s shenanigans in Black Rock City with some sonic love. Thanks to amazing friends at Quabax Wax out of New Zealand, unleashing the dubstep remix collab of King Kapisi’s Safari with Steezie Wonder for FREE download. (hit the above link)

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:36 pm 
http://illgates.com/?p=1482

Hit the link for album previews and a FREE DL of 'Open Your Eyes' w Bassnectar Remix!

w00t w00t!

Profile  Offline

Post subject: Re: THE ILL.METHODOLOGY - OUT NOW... FINALLY! :D:D:D
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:43 pm 
I'm listening to it this evening, and wow ! it's really brilliant !!! i love it !

and thx for free dl remix :)

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:39 pm 
fantasic album

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:52 pm 
http://illgates.com/2011/11/bbc-radio-f ... abs-remix/

Two weeks ago, The Friction Labs team gave me a call and asked if I’d like to remix ‘Aag Da Kariya‘ by Dr. Zeus for Bobby Friction’s radio show on BBC Asia. The idea behind project is to challenge producers to step outside the norm and work with popular music from Asia, creating new genres of fusion on the process.

Check out the clip from the live BBC Broadcast:

Profile  Offline

Post subject: Re: ill.Gates Moombahton? OMGWTFBBQ!?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:53 pm 
OMFGODZILLAHADABBQ?

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:10 am 
Great to see you still taking risks, trying moombah on for size bringing your own style along with it, honestly such an inspiration.

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:23 am 
Great site design and functionality. Feelin it! Definitely enjoying the new album. Looking forward to seeing you throw down in the bay soon.. Get it poppin!!

Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:41 pm 
Sick moombass vibes Dylan - awesome refix bro. props!

Profile  Offline